WHAT ARE EARLY SIGNS OF
MOLD IN YOUR HOME?

Mold is almost everywhere around us and you can’t keep it out of your home. Plus it’s really great at growing pretty much anywhere there is moisture.


Most of the time you will see mold before you notice any other adverse effects. And while there are many many different types of mold, some of which are more dangerous than others, any mold you discover in your home should be dealt with by Pure Maintenance of Oregon as quickly as possible.


Even small patches of mold shouldn’t be ignored as mold can spread quickly meaning it can soon turn into a much bigger problem. There is also the issue that small amounts of visible mold can signify much larger mold colonies that are hidden from view. As well as the fact that mold can be hidden, not all mold growth looks the same. Most people are aware that black spots are a sign of mold, but mold can appear in many guises. Mold can be black, brown, grey, white and even orange or pink in color.


There are a number of clues you can look out for that might indicate mold is growing in your home, from a musty odour even though you’ve cleaned to allergic reactions in your eyes, skin and airways.
 

Your House Has a Musty Odor


If mold is growing hidden away in your home a funky smell might be the most noticeable sign that it’s there. Mold often has a musty, damp smell although the smell can vary depending on the type of mold and the surface it is growing on.

If you think you can smell mold it is always worth investigating, but just because you don’t smell it doesn’t mean it isn’t there, especially as some people don’t even notice the smell.
 

Your Chimney Smells Funny


One particular area that smell may be the only indication of mold is your chimney. Moisture can build up in a chimney giving the perfect conditions for mold to thrive.

If you smell a musty smell coming from your chimney, maybe on days when the wind is blowing in a certain direction, then it could be a good idea to check that the chimney cap and flashing aren’t damaged and get someone in to inspect for mold and deal with any they find.
 

The Wall Paper or Paint is Bubbling or Peeling


One visible sign of mold growth or moisture which can allow for mold growth is if you notice your wallpaper or paint bubbling or peeling. Bathrooms, kitchens, laundry rooms and the area around windows are prime spots.

First of all, you need to identify the source of the moisture and deal with that. Before repainting make sure you thoroughly dry out the walls and check for existing mold growth.
 

The Grout Between Your Tiles is Dark


If the grout between your tiles has turned from white to dark the culprit is probably mold. This type of mold isn’t usually a health risk unless you are particularly sensitive but you probably want to get rid of it anyway to stop it spreading and just because it doesn’t look very nice.
 

Your Eyes Sting or Water


As well as noticing a smell or visible indicators, mold can also cause allergic reactions in the body. Some people will be more susceptible than others, and people with other allergies such as seasonal allergies often suffer more than most.

One common symptom is that your eyes may water or sting. If you find your allergies aren’t improving when they normally would or are worse at home or even in a specific room or area of your home, then it could be that you are reacting to mold spores.
 

Your Asthma is Worse Than Usual


Likewise Asthma can flare up as a result of breathing in mold spores. If you notice your asthma getting worse, especially if this happens after an extended period at home or you can’t find any other explanation, then you should definitely check your home for mold.
 

While most molds don’t cause problems for most people if you have a pre-existing condition like asthma they can have a much more noticeable effect. It is also worth noting that infants and children that are exposed to mold at a young age are at a higher risk of developing asthma.
 

Your Skin is Reacting


It isn’t just your airways and your eyes that can be affected by mold spores. Your skin can as well. If you are allergic to the mycotoxins released by mold then your body will react by releasing histamines. This can result in dry, itchy, flakey skin and even hives.

If you suspect mold might be the problem or you are struggling to identify the issue then inspecting your home and eradicating mold is a good place to start.
 

You’re Coughing


Even if you don’t have asthma mold can still cause coughing, sneezing and a sore itchy throat. If you have cold-like symptoms that don’t go away then it’s worth checking for mold and finding out if you have an allergy.

Babies coughing at night should also be cause for concern as mold spores are more likely to do damage to their delicate lungs and studies have shown that children exposed to mold as babies are more likely to develop Asthma.
 

You’re Tired All The Time


If you’ve been feeling constantly tired and lethargic mold might not be the first thing that springs to mind as a cause but toxic mold can affect different people in different ways.

If you are feeling more tired and lethargic than usual with no other obvious cause then mold could be the cause and it could be time to call Pure Maintenance of Oregon for demolition-free mold remediation in Medford.

Contact Us Today to Schedule a Mold Test  541.500.9101

© 2019  Pure Maintenance of Oregon

Design & Hosting by Genesis Design